Friday, July 05, 2019

Slow Down Leroy

Today was to be my third rehab day.  I arrived there early but it didn't entirely turn out as I expected.


It looks like I was a bit too optimistic as to my ability to quickly adapt to the rehab routine.  When I arrived this morning I was ‘wobbly’ and told the nurse that before she even weighed me in.  I told her I didn’t get much sleep last night due to my leg being in pain.  And that I had pears and cottage cheese for dinner last night and for breakfast this morning.  Naturally, she instantly became concerned and asked me questions.  Like ‘did I take my meds this morning?’ and ‘have I been eating iron-rich food regularly?’  I told her yes on the meds but that I had stopped taking the iron pill four days ago because it was tearing up my insides and exit port.  And that I told my cardiologist about it, who reluctantly agreed to it. Besides, I was already taking vitamins that contained iron.  As for eating, I just don’t feel like eating much during this oppressive heat.

She was quick to say that lack of iron probably caused me to be wobbly.  So she started taking my blood pressure and it was okay but over the next few minutes it ranged from under 100/.. to 130/..  So she told me to not do the treadmill.  Instead, I did the arm cycle and bicycle.  They weren’t hard to do but they were harder than before.  Then she put me on the elliptical machine for fifteen minutes, but within two minutes I was beat.  That was it for me.  They made me drink water and rest.

She said I still had my color but that I may want to call for a ride home.  I decided I felt strong and steady enough to do it myself and returned home early.  We decided to have a big breakfast up the road and I came home, crawled back into bed and slept until 1:30.  I still feel a bit weak.  I think we're having steak tonight.  My cardio surgeon said I should eat lots of steak.

I then called my doctor’s office and told them about the incident, and that I was going back on the iron pills.  They agreed that my 'wobble' could be the lack of iron and said okay, but if it happens again, call them for an appointment.

I'm also skipping my daily walk through the house to get my 5,000 + steps in.  I'm just not up for it.  Maybe tomorrow.

No comments: