Sunday, August 27, 2017

7th Week a Very Good Week

Given the damage and disruption to so many lives by Hurricane Harvey, I must first apologize for thinking that any progress made to our new home is important enough to share.  While so many are suffering, I'm bragging.  Somehow that just doesn't seem right.

But I committed to keeping a weekly log of the progress on our final home.  I would be remiss by not following my goal to record and report what the workers have done,  often under very wet and sometimes even dangerous conditions.  

I think this week was the first time our house actually began to develop a 'personality.'  Yes, to us, our 'house' is a 'home' being built from the ground up.  Anyone and everyone who contributes positively to its becoming a part of our lives deserves to be recognized and thanked for their efforts.  And although we may never see them again, each speck of concrete or board or nail or pipe or wire or window or roofing tile and so on they installed is like them leaving their personal and professional mark.  And so far, they have earned our respect and thanks for a job well done.

This week they started off by finishing installing the concrete ridge tiles on the roof.  I think that was the 'touch' that actually gave it personality.  After that there a lot of things going on including electrical, plumbing, A/C and Heating, natural gas, lighting, and ending up with insulation.

Meanwhile, the drywall was delivered and readied for installation.  And the bricks were delivered, hopefully to be installed this coming week.

Also, I drew up a proposed outdoor kitchen design and details as to its construction, either by the builder if the price is right, or me if I can't afford them.  I still have some snap left in me although I may need help with some of the heavy beams and roof.  I submitted the design to the Home Owners Association review committee and it was approved unanimously.

The outdoor kitchen, (temporarily referred to as the New Coop) is designed to reflect the same roof lines of the house.  I really like the French roof lines.  It just seemed the right thing to do.  The interior will be designed to accommodate only two Big Green Eggs, a 36" gas griddle, and maybe later on a wood fired brick pizza/bread oven.  Of course there will be a sink and refrigerator and under-counter cabinets.  It will also have a very large, industrial ceiling fan in the ceiling.  The plumbing and wiring for the New Coop is ready to be tapped into when it is built.

Anyway, here are a few photos that should reflect the progress of this week.

Monday



Tuesday


Wednesday 


Thursday




Friday 




Needles to say, we're excited about the upcoming week. 

Thanks for looking.

No comments: