Tuesday, February 07, 2023

Scleral Lens Update

 As I have mentioned many times over the past three years, I have glaucoma in my only good eye.  And not only is my vision blurry, mostly caused by the pressure in my eye but also because the eye drops have only recently got the pressure stable enough to take the next steps toward wearing glasses again.  I've already tried five new pairs of glasses, but they didn't fix the problem enough for me to watch TV or drive a car.

But one of the many doctors suggested I visit an optometrist who specializes in complex vision problems.  She immediately suggested a Scleral Lens.  It's a hard contact lens that covers all the eye's damaged areas, holding a sterile solution under the lens to keep the eye wet all day.  It's more complicated than that, but I've tried on the first and second lenses and it not only gave me hope but lifted my spirits.  It's common to have to make multiple lenses until they fit perfectly.

A few minutes ago the doctor's office called to say the third version has arrived and I have an appointment in two days to see if this is the one that does the job.  If not, they will make another and another until I can see.  I'm really excited about this visit on Thursday because the last two visits completely eliminated any fears or concerns that I will soon be blind.

If you are curious about Scleral Lenses, click here:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCc6cvD_X3w

No comments: