Thursday, October 17, 2019

We'll See About That

Back in January of this year I finally had the cataract taken care of in my good eye (left one).  My vision was slowly getting worse, and although I could see to drive and get around, even build some things, it needing fixing. 

The risks of a problem developing during surgery was high, but so was losing my vision due to an accident because I had difficulty seeing or doing something dangerous. 

The surgery was a success and within days I was able to see 20/20 out of the eye.  I could also read or watch TV or drive without glasses.  I was both relieved and thrilled.

But three weeks ago I woke up at 2:00 am and could hardly see anything with the good eye.  And I had a really bad pain under the eyelid up high.  I could even feel a small lump under the skin.  Artificial tears didn't help so I went back to bed.

The next day it kept getting worse so we just went to my ophthalmologist's office and waited for an opening.  He was busy, as usual, but he saw me. He gave me some drops to try and come back the following day.  Then on the third trip he finally figured out that when he pulverized (that's what they do now) the cataract lens, some of it apparently didn't get sucked out.  Instead, it lodged behind something inside the eye and remained there all this time.  I apparently did something to dislodge it and it was causing the vision loss and pain because of the inflammation.  Plus, my glaucoma (pressure inside the eye) was higher than he would have liked. 

He said we have two choices: surgery to suck out the debris (takes less than a minute but has the higher risks) or let my body absorb the debris naturally (the lesser risk).  He wanted to try seeing if the body could absorb it.  So I started using some drops that would help move the process along.  That was three weeks ago and I'm currently using three types of drops, including one which is sort of a super-powered steroid based drop that I take four times daily.

Tomorrow I will go take yet another test that measures the swelling in retinal area of the eye.  It should be down even more since Monday, and a lot since this first started.

Meanwhile, I feel like I've got something in my eye all the time.  And small print drives me nuts.

Maybe tomorrow I'll be well.

As they say, we'll see...

No comments: