Friday, October 25, 2019

Eye Problem Update

We just returned home from the ninth visit to my ophthalmologist in three weeks.  Good news!  The 'debris' from the pulverized cataract that caused the problem is still there but "the edges are getting smoother" suggesting that my body's own defenses are slowly wearing it down.

It could take months to completely dissolve it but it no longer bothers me as much as it did the first two weeks.  At least I can see my computer screen without having to blow everything up ten times normal size.

And I can even drive and make sawdust and cook and do yard-work without a problem.  But I sometimes have to stop everything and put some drops in to lubricate my eye, or if my vision is affected too much, take a nap.

Meanwhile, my three types of eye drops (one a steroid), has been reduced.  The reduced drops will gradually signal my body to begin 'attacking' the debris as it normally would.  The steroid drops actually tell my body to ignore the debris until the inflammation and swelling go down.  Otherwise, my body would create a problem by attacking it as it would any other 'foreign object.' 

My doctor is very good about explaining everything, and stresses caution when discussing surgery options.  He is well aware of my concerns for surgery risks, since cataract surgery is how I lost vision in my right eye years ago.

He said the good news is that it is now under control and hopefully one day soon it will be completely resolved.

We also learned that he owns a Big Green Egg.  What a coincidence.
 

No comments: