Tuesday, April 09, 2019

Life is Catching up to Me

Well, after 77 years and 11 months, my life is finally catching up to me.  And if things don't go right in the next few weeks, it might just pass me up.

Yesterday I underwent an 'exploratory angiogram.'  It was initially scheduled to see why I had what appeared to be a 77% blockage in my carotid artery.  It turned out to be only a 50% blockage.



But my cardiologist decided to check my other arteries while I was there.  And he was quite surprised to find that all four heart arteries had 80% blockages.  He was surprised because I had undergone a stress test last year and I was fine.

Obviously something has to be done about it, so we contacted a recommended heart surgeon and I have an appointment day after tomorrow.  It's more of an introductory meeting but I'm sure to be scheduled for open heart surgery within the next two weeks.

I know open heart surgery is pretty common these days, and has a very high success rate, but this time it's me who will be on the operating table.  Instead of having a one-in-a-million chance of something going wrong, I see it as a one-in-one chance of something going wrong.  At that moment, all the millions of success stories mean nothing until my surgery is over and I'm up walking around.

I already know some things will need to change in my life, lifestyle among them.  Food intake is surely on the list, as is exercise and restful sleep and etc, etc, etc.......

I'll try to keep my blog updated but it too may end up being a casualty to the need for change.

Wish me luck.

No comments: