Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The Road to Enterprise - A book about success

My life long friend Emmilee Green in Harrisonburg, Louisiana gave me a book to read that was written by a former Harrisonburg resident, Arch Aplin, Jr., who now lives in Freeport, Texas.

The book is a detailed accounting of his life from when he was a child in Harrisonburg, followed by dangerous years as a Sailor in both the Atlantic and Pacific campaigns in WWII, and on to a successful career, each step of the way making good use of employment and business opportunities as they came his way. He went on to instill that business savvy in his son, Arch Aplin III, who came up with the idea for the highly successful Buc-ee's chain of conveniently located stores throughout Texas.


I took a picture in front of his old family home in Harrisonburg, with me holding a copy of his book and wearing a Buc-ee's shirt.



It didn't take long to read it, mostly because he wrote about people, places and events that I grew up knowing and experiencing myself, only a few years later.

I'll write a full review of the book later.  I'm still trying to catch up on a lot of things going on right now, including writing to him and thanking him for telling his story the way he did.  It's a good read.

Well, I can now add to this post.

I wrote to Arch Aplin, Jr., explaining who I was and that I enjoyed his book 'immensely.'  I also inclosed a photo copy of a picture that my uncle Charlie McMillin gave me shortly after my visit to Harrisonburg. The picture was of Arch Aplin, Jr's maternal grandparents, William Sanford Terry and Nancy Catherine Scarborough Terry.  As it turns out, my grandmother was a Terry, and sister to Arch's Mother.

Small world...

He wrote back saying that it was a surprise and a pleasure to receive my letter.  He went on to say he was very familiar with my Dad and Mom, and some of my aunts and uncles.

He closed by saying we should keep in touch and meet in the near future.

Needless to say, it would be a thrill to sit and talk to him.  So that's high on my plans.

I can fully understand why Emmilee and Joe Green thought so highly of him.




No comments: