Thursday, February 17, 2022

Writing Short Stories For a Newpaper

 A high school friend asked if I would write a few stories about my early days in Catahoula Parish, Louisiana;  We both grew up there.  He said he has been writing his own version of what he could remember, but he needs to attend to some medical issues and he doesn't want to leave the newspaper without stories. 

After I gave it some thought, I said okay and he asked me to contact his daughter who is the Editor of the Catahoula News Booster, a weekly newspaper with roots dating back to 1853.  

I know the paper well.  My maternal grandfather was the owner and publisher of the newspaper back in the 1920s until he died suddenly in 1931.  I never met him, of course, but I have a feeling I would have liked him.

The Editor was excited that I agreed to write some stories and looked forward to publishing them.  She didn't mention any limits or subject matter but I told her that when it comes to writing anything, my motto has always been "Why use ten words when a thousand will do."  She just laughed ...

So I got to work and within a few days, I presented her with 11 stories that she began publishing the following week.

I'm still at it but my ongoing glaucoma problem is causing some problems and I advised her that I would probably have to give up writing for a bit.  But she's still got a number of unpublished stories left from the second and third batch I sent her.

Friends and family members tell me they love the stories, and the editor also said she is getting good feedback on them.

All of the stories that were published so far are listed to the right of the Blog's home page.  Just click on the link for each story you want to read.  

I certainly enjoyed writing them and sincerely hope you enjoy reading them.   Leroy


No comments: