Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Kirkpatrick McMillan - The Devil on Two Wheels

As many of you know, I have a lot of Irish and a lot of Scottish in me.  Some of it in the form of DNA and some in the form of beverage for which each country is noted.

Being a little of each gives me both curiosity and enthusiasm in a world where technology is quickly exceeding my ability to absorb its advantage to the world about me.  But I am blessed with a decent mechanical aptitude that sometimes allows me to repair what can be repaired, and even create something that has never been created.

Even so, nothing has ever gotten in the way of my curiosity nor has it stopped me from trying to understand things I can't change.  And there's great joy in changing what I can change.

I would dearly love to leave this planet in better shape than I found it.

There was another McMillan (also spelled MacMillan)  (note the spelling is slightly different than my own name: McMillin) who's ability to apply ideas to the technology of the day set in motion a form of human transportation that quickly changed the world.  And it continues to do so today.

My distant relative, Kirkpatrick McMillan, is now recognized at the person who invented the human powered bicycle in 1839/1840.


And in doing so, he changed the world for the better.

If you have ever owned a bicycle, you owe its existence to Kirkpatrick McMillan.

If you have a few minutes you might read this accounting of him and his invention.

Devil on Two Wheels






No comments: