Monday, January 02, 2017

The 2017 Diet/Exercise Program/Effort

Two words in the English language are absolutely hated by some of us.  That would include me.

The first word, and most hated of all, 'Diet' actually starts out as 'Die' and someone long ago forgot to add the hyphen before the 't,' which I believe was an abbreviation for 'tomorrow.'  The tomorrow was put in there as sort of a grace period just in case you came to your senses.

The second word, 'Exercise' is just another word for 'voluntary punishment' for something that humans are programmed to do by those who compete in sporting events or sell exercise equipment, or by doctors and pain-pill companies who probably make more money off you by treating your aches and pains from, guess what - Exercise...

I think the funeral industry is in on it too.  As near as I can tell, everyone, whether they exercise or not, will die (see paragraph above about the Diet/Die connection).  The funeral home will eventually get you, but may get you sooner if you exercise yourself to death.

Think about it - how many other Planet Earth animals voluntarily exercise?  Take your time, and you still won't be able to name a single one that ordered a gym set from Amazon, or built a wing in their hole-in-the-ground for exercise equipment.

No, we humans are the only ones who eat so much, drink so much, sit on our ass so much, smoke so much, and generally do too much of nothing to stop ourselves from becoming overly fat and underly fit.  I know, I'm one of 'em!

So on December 31st 2016 I decided to employ those two words, Diet and Exercise, in my life, but with a bit of caution.  Too much could kill me and not enough may also kill me.  So 'how much' of each had to be just right.

Come Sunday morning, January 1st, 2017, I climbed aboard my treadmill and took a little stroll.  I set no goals and no limits.  In route to nowhere, I decided at the 3/4 mile point that I should stop.  I had set a pace of 96 steps per minute and it took 27 minutes to reach 3/4 mile, which meant that I had racked up 2,592 steps under controlled conditions.  The recommended number of steps per day is 10,000 but that's if you really give a rat's ass about being in 'perfect' condition.  I just want to feel a little better. So I'm fine with the 2,592 steps, plus any additional steps I accumulate going between the refrigerator and my recliner.  Well, it's a start...

But wait, I also dusted off my Total Gym and set it up in the garage and did 100 reps each of 6 different sets of exercises to make my legs, arms and gut better.

And I did the same thing again today just for good measure.  And I plan to do it again tomorrow and the next day and the next day.......

Is it working?  Well, I'm down 4.8 pounds from when I started yesterday.  And I ache all over.  And I feel good about it.  So yeah, I think it's working.  We'll know for sure in a few weeks.

1-9-17 It's still working.  As of today I'm down 7.8 pounds.  Feel better too.
Here's a breakdown of my daily exercise/BP/Blood Glucose/Weight (I'm not diabetic) steps:

                  115/57             68              291.6°°®
                  Blood Glucose Before Breakfast 99
                  Treadmill      .75 miles @ 2.3 mph
                   2.5° incline   101 Steps Per Min
                100 Reps of 10 lb arm curls
                100 Reps of 6 Sets on Total Gym (legs and arms)




No comments: