Sunday, July 24, 2016

On Yet Another Cooking Adventure

Back in 1999 when I finally decided I wanted my food to be an adventure instead of just being the necessary intake of nourishment, no matter how bad it tasted, I set about looking for the ways and means of cooking great food.  I settled on purchasing a Big Green Egg, and life has never been the same since.

For the first time ever, I was off the path of familiar home-cooked meals by my parents and friends, and the occasional visit to a restaurant.  And although those foods were delicious, they really didn't satisfy my need to explore what else was out there.  The Big Green Egg was the first step in a continuing education about food and how we cook it, particularly food we cook for our own needs.

Since 1999, I've grown my Big Green Egg collection from one to six.  Three are the same size, Large Eggs, and the other three are different sizes ranging from the Small Egg, down to the Mini-Max Egg, and to the cute but very capable Mini Egg.

The Mini-Max is relatively new on the market and has been getting high praise from just about everyone.  And I have one.  So it made sense for me to dress it up with some useful accessories.  I particularly wanted to try the new GrillGrates that were showing up everywhere along with excellent comments, many with photos and videos showing the GrillMates in action.  Needless to say, I just had to buy some GrillGrates.

They arrived the very next day after I ordered them from the Ceramic Grill Store in Denton, Texas. The owner is a long-time Egghead friend.

I immediately set about seasoning the GrillGrates, anxious to do my first cook on them.  I even made a video of the seasoning steps so others might find it helpful should they suddenly find themselves owning some GrillGrates.     

GrillGrates Seasoning

And the first cook on them just had to be a sous vide Tri-Tip roast that we have learned to cook well and enjoy a lot.  I also made a video of that cook.  

Sous Vide and Grilled Tri-Tip

It was delicious, tender and perfect in every way, so much so that I can truthfully say I just moved my level of grilling up yet another notch.  And to prove it, here's a prime ribeye steak that I first sous vide and followed with a sear on the GrillGrates:

Sous Vide and Seared Prime Ribeye

I can only imagine what lies ahead on my culinary journey.  But so far, it has been an adventure of a lifetime.




No comments: