Saturday, November 10, 2012

Knee Surgery Update

Knee replacement surgery is a piece a' cake for some and not for others.  I fit into the 'not for others' category. Mine still hurts like a SOB at times and is quite annoying when I try to sleep.  But it seems to be getting better very slowly each day.  At least I can do most normal activities again.

According to the surgeon, I'm coming along great.  Well, that's a relief.  I thought I was going to die of old age before I got well.

Meanwhile, the burning/tingling pain in my lower legs and feet is getting worse.  I saw the back surgeon who fixed my back two years ago and he ordered a nerve test done.  I'll know the results soon.  The doctor who performed the test traced the problem to L5/S1 in my lower back, probably from a pinched nerve.  It could be that a simple steroid shot will fix it.

I'm off the Ambien sleeping pills as of a few days ago, so sleep is not coming easy.  The pills are a prescription only narcotic and have some dangerous side effects, including of all things "burning/tingling sensation in lower legs and feet."  But they did allow me to sleep soundly, often for six or more hours straight.  They also prevented me from having dreams.  I loved that...  but the pills can blow out a kidney over time.  That's why my doctor reluctantly prescribed them in the first place and has since discontinued the prescription.  I'm okay with it.

At least I'm alive, mostly well, up and about and doing things.  Some people would give anything to be  able to do that.

No comments: