Thursday, October 21, 2010

So That's a Gallbladder

It started with a slight pain on my right side just under the ribs.  Not all the time, but sometimes it would hurt enough for me to press on it for relief.  Actually, it was more annoying than painful.

Finally I asked my doctor about it and within three days and a few scans I was scheduled for laparoscopic gallbladder surgery (cholecystectomy) to remove the gallbladder and a bunch of gallstones through several small incisions in my abdomen.

That was last Thursday afternoon and I was home the following day.  Pretty amazing what doctors can do these days.

Anyway, I didn't know what a gallbladder was and started asking around.  It turns out that humans have known for over four centuries that the gallbladder isn't necessary for humans to lead a normal life.  I'll know if that's true on Saturday when I see the surgeon.  I feel great and I'm not leaking anywhere so I'm pretty sure he will say I can resume my normal life.

No comments: